Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Love, Actually

I can't believe the Olympics start in only two days! I'm looking forward to cheering on our Canadian athletes.

I'm also interested in seeing how the actual event plays out, given all the discussions about Russia's attitude toward gay rights, concerns over security, and the recent media reports about Sochi's readiness (or lack thereof) to host the influx of visitors.

While I'm not the kind of person who usually uses public forums (fora?) to proselytize, I'm going to make an exception here.

Canada has been a leader in marriage equality - a fact of which I'm proud. I read media reports, blogs and personal stories in Ravelry forums from people who live in states or countries where there are laws against people marrying the person they love, and I'm dismayed. We are all human. We all want and need love. There's enough hate in this world.

There are people more eloquent on the issue of equal rights for LGBT folks. And I will leave the public words to them. They can do it so much better than I.

To that end, I'm joining with select other designers on Ravelry to support LGBT rights during the Sochi Olympics. For the full list of participating designers, see Bristol Ivy's blog, Where the Red-Winged Blackbird Flies.

I will be donating 75% of my pattern sales on the days of the Opening and Closing Olympic ceremonies (Feb 7 and 23) and 25% of sales during the rest of the Olympics (Feb 8-23).

Funds raised will be donated to Egale.ca, which is a Canadian national charity. Egale.ca promotes LGBT human rights through research, education and community engagement. They work with schools, fight against discrimination and hate crimes, and work on legislation and legal cases across Canada. I'll report back after the Olympics to let you know how much was donated.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved.

No comments :

Post a Comment