Friday, November 21, 2014

An Interview with Michelle Meyer


One of the things I love about Ravelry and in particular, the Indie Design Gift-a-long (GAL) is finding new (and new-to-me) designers. There are so many talented people out there who often get overlooked because they aren't one of the 'big' names (yet).
Michelle Meyer, Indie Designer

Thanks to the GAL, I recently had an opportunity to interview Michelle Meyer, a relatively new designer from Wisconsin, USA. 

I love her Footbridge shawl. Part of what attracts me to it is its simplicity. This would be great travel, TV or waiting room knitting. And because of its simplicity, Footbridge presents a wonderful opportunity to focus on colors. I find Michelle's choice of colors for this shawl to be very striking. And I can also see this as being a great stash busting project, great for using up yarn remnants from other projects.




Footbridge Shawl


How long have you been knitting? 
I was taught to knit when I was young by my adopted Grandmother, however I didn't stick with it. At that time I could only knit, I couldn't even cast on. Then about 4 years ago I was preparing to undergo back surgery. At that time I was wanting to do something that was more portable than the other crafts I was invested in. A friend re-introduced me to knitting, ever since then there hasn't been a day that I haven't knitted.

What are your favorite techniques or types of things to knit? 
I love to knit cables. They add so much dimension to your project. I also love to knit in the round. My favorite things to knit are hats and cowls. I think I like to knit these items so much because of their instant gratification factor.
Juniper






What prompted you to start designing? 
The designing process intrigued me, and always wanting to learn more I found myself gravitating to it. One of my biggest inspirations to design are my two daughters. I also have a very good friend of mine Sara Gresbach of Addiema Designs who been such a wonderful support for me. She is always there to answer my “silly” questions. Knowing some with her experience makes designing less intimidating.

What has been your greatest challenge throughout the design process? 
I think that there are many challenges. One is to make sure I go with my gut and not over analyze or over think my designs. The other one is the challenge of naming my design. Sometimes this process takes longer than the designing process.


Your designs all seem to have a strong connection to nature and your environment. Is this a happy coincidence or on purpose? 
Footbridge
My first design was actually because I wanted something with texture, and also involved a little bit of inspiration from another passion of mine, which was quilting. However the designs after that pretty much have a connection with my love of the outdoors and nature. My husband, and our children love to ride our Motorcycles. Being out in the fresh air and driving the open roads of Wisconsin, bring out a lot of inspiration.

What do you have planned for 2015 design-wise? 
Looking ahead to 2015 design-wise I plan to keep putting out patterns using inspirations of my surrounding. I also plan on putting out more designs that help me step out of my comfort zone, and challenge me more as a designer.

Megara







You can also find Michelle on Facebook at Timeless Knits.

No comments :

Post a Comment