Thursday, November 22, 2012

Test Knit – Snowflake Sweater, newborn size




Back in October I jumped at the opportunity to test knit the Snowflake Sweater from Tin Can Knits. I was in the middle of a few longer projects: a sweater and some socks, so a quick baby knit seemed like the perfect antidote to the never-ending WIPs. Am I the only one who does this?



While the sweater is available in adult sizes I was looking for a quick knit, so I chose the 0-6 month size. I didn’t have a recipient in mind, but I knew that eventually the sweater would find its owner. After rummaging through my stash – another reason I volunteered for the test knit -  I found the perfect yarns: Garnstudio DROPS Merino Extra Fine and Stylecraft Pure Luxury Merino DK. Both are incredibly soft, of similar weight and looked perfect together. Little did I know that they were also perfect for the, as yet, unknown recipient.

The lace knit up easily and quickly. My only regret is that  the tip about blocking the lace section separately was posted after I’d already begun knitting the body. Seeing Alexa’s post about blocking the lace in a rectangle to really make it “pop”, it was clear how effect the technique was.

Baby items are the perfect ‘quick knitting fix’. You get a complete garment in a short amount of time. You can practice new techniques without the major time commitment. And let’s face it, if you make a mistake – who’s going to notice? Everyone will be oohing and aaahing about the cute baby!

And my Snowflake Sweater? It’s found a new home with a co-worker of mine whose son was born recently.

No comments :

Post a Comment